Interfaith Assistance Ministry provides emergency relief to Henderson County residents who are experiencing financial crises. We are not a government welfare agency funded with your tax dollars. Instead, we depend on support from individuals, businesses, civic service organizations, congregations and grants.
- IAM is the largest provider of crisis services in Henderson County. We are open 6 days a week to help as many of our neighbors as possible.
- We are a local nonprofit that does not answer to a national headquarters. Your entire donation stays in Henderson County.
- We are not a United Way Agency. We choose not to compete with our community partners who depend greatly on these funds.
We are good stewards of funds donated to us. Our overhead expenses are low because we enlist more than 300 volunteers supported by 13 paid staff, of which only 4 are full time. Last year, our volunteers helped us provide over $1.9 million in services. Our Volunteers perform the work of 18 people working over 37,000 hours a year.
- We are effective. Last year, 64% of the clients we assisted did not need to return for subsequent assistance. Another 33% needed our help only two or three times.
- We are efficient. We keep records of our services and coordinate with other crisis and human service agencies and programs, to ensure maximum effectiveness and to prevent duplication of services.
- We offer a hand up, not a hand out. Clients are given written action plans with information, budget counseling, smoking cessation classes and referrals to reduce the likelihood that they will have to return for further assistance.
- We are good business partners. We are a Chamber of Commerce member, and last year, we spent over $566,000 with over 111 different businesses in the community.
- We are reliable and here to stay. Established in 1984, Interfaith has a proven track record of responsible crisis assistance in Henderson County. We have established an endowment fund with the Community Foundation of Henderson County that provides donors an opportunity to make a lasting difference for those in need through donations to the IAM Endowment Fund.